BUSINESS / ORGANIZATION:
A. James CFOCharlotte, NC
ABOUT THE BUSINESS / ORGANIZATION:My name is Antoinette and I am a Virtual CFO. I run a full-service virtual accounting firm specializing in supporting business owners and entrepreneurs to better understand and manage their finances by providing remote tax preparation & planning, bookkeeping, payroll management, and financial advisory services.
THE STORY:Being a first-generation college student (graduate of North Carolina State University with a Bachelors in Business Finance and Minor in Accounting) and first-generation American (daughter of 2 lower-income, Jamaican immigrant parents who came to the U.S. during their teenage years), I learned early the importance of hard work, education, financial literacy and making the most of the opportunities life/ God gives you. A few months prior to graduating college, I secured a position in to Textron's (a Fortune 500 Aerospace, Defense and Industrial manufacturer) Finance Leadership Development Program, a 2-year rotational program which allowed me the opportunity to relocate to Dallas, TX; Providence, RI, and Augusta, GA and explore the ins-and-outs of a $14B+ financial organization. I worked alongside C-suite executives, VPs and Directors learning everything from financial planning & analysis, forecasting & budgeting, corporate strategy and business development, to financial management and accounting ERP systems. Yet, somehow I found myself at 24, overseeing the financials for a $100M+ business division and wondering "Is this it?"
For the most part I enjoyed the work I was doing, my co-workers and boss were pretty cool and I was getting paid well by most standards - but I found myself unfulfilled, feeling as if I was living a story I had been told over and over to "get good grades, go to a good university, get a good job with salary and benefits and then work hard until you retire and then die..."
One afternoon while in for a routine cleaning, my dentist asked me what I did for a living and I told him "Finance". He asked me if I could help him manage the finances for his dental practices and that's where it all started! After a few weeks after working with him and noticing the positive impact I was having on him and his business I knew my passion for finance had met my purpose of helping small Business Owners create and build the sustainable, profitable business of their dreams.
Now I spend my days supporting an AMAZING group of busy & successful entrepreneurs with the financial expertise, systems, tools, and mindset they need to take their business to the next level, minimize their tax bill and increase their bottom line.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS / ACCOLADES / AWARDS:- June 2013: 5-week study abroad experience in Shanghai, China
- May 2014: Graduated from NC State University [Bachelors in Business Finances, Dean's List recipient, Poole Council (Student Government) - VP of Communications. Beta Alpha Psi - Fundraiser Chair, Black Business Student Association (BBSA) - Secretary]
- July 2014 - July 2016: Selected to participate in Textron's Finance Leadership Development Program, 2-yr. rotational program
- July 2016 - July 2017 - Served as Financial Analyst/ Finance Business Partner responsible for managing financials for a Fortune 500 company's $100M+ commercial business division
- July 2017 - Left Corporate to run my business full-time
- Oct. 2018: Commissioned as N.C. Notary Public
- Jan. 2019: Licensed N.C. Real Estate Broker
- Mar. 2019: Credentialed as a Certified Quickbooks Online ProAdvisor; became Member of National Association of Tax Professionals
- June 2019: Launched 1st cohort of a Women's Business Owner Accountability/ Mastermind Group with women from all over the world who show up weekly committed to their success and each other
- July 2019: Nominated by Charlotte, NC Chapter of eWomenNetwork as 1 of 12 young woman Entrepreneurs from around the world as an 'Emerging Leader of The Year'