Do you ever feel overwhelmed by all the technology that we must use in our fast paced world today? Do you ever just feel like checking out for a moment from it all? If so, it is because you should and I want to let you know that you are not alone. According to the American Psychological Association, 65% of people strongly agree that disengaging from all forms of technology is important to their health. In order to stay afloat, we are required to utilize various forms of technology in all facets of our lives. Information is consumed and communicated through technology in all seven of our main industries in the world which are the economy, education, entertainment, religious/non-profit, government, media and medical sectors. Along with the current forms of technology that we are using, we must also be prepared for the progressive emergence of Artificial Intelligence.
We need and use our cell phones, laptops, PC’s and apps in order to work, make purchases, schedule appointments, conduct meetings and communicate. Although the world is advancing virtually day by day, regularly detaching from technology is needed in order to recharge, refresh and recalibrate your minds, hearts and souls. In addition to all the global and national injustices we are able to witness via our cell phones and television, taking moments to unplug is recommended to maintain a healthy mindset.
With that said, listed below are 5 proven keys I’d like to share that you can easily incorporate to help with maintaining your health and wellness in life.
Take Time to Sip Some Tea
Carve out time a few nights a week to create a tea time nightly ritual before retiring for bed. The following are three herbal teas that I drink during the week that are great stress relievers and provide relaxation.These are perfect nighttime teas to drink at least one hour before your bedtime and will aid in restful sleep. Below is a description of each tea along with the health benefits.
Soursop Tea – Soursop is a fruit also known as Graviola and it is grown in Central and South America. Soursop is rich in vitamins B1, B2, vitamin C, calcium, zinc, potassium and magnesium. Below are the health benefits of Soursop tea:
- Immune Booster. High in antioxidants.
- Aids in killing cancer cells
- Fights against bacteria
- Fights against inflammation
- Muscle Relaxer & Relieves Pain
Chamomile Tea – Chamomile flower is a member of the daisy family. It is a sweetly aromatic plant native to Europe. Below are the health benefits for chamomile tea:
- Relieves stress, anxiety and depression – Increases serotonin and melatonin hormone levels in the body. These hormones have been known to relax the body and eliminate stress.
- Improves the quality of sleep
- Aids in Weight Loss – Toxins and excess water are flushed and released.
- Antioxidant & Immune Booster – Chamomile has been known to fight off flu and cold symptoms.
Kava Tea – Kava is an evergreen shrub native to the Polynesian islands of the South Pacific. It is commercially cultivated in Australia and Hawaii. Kava is sedative and mildly euphoriant. It is used mostly for its sedative properties, which do not impair the user’s mental alertness. Listed below are evidence of benefits:
- Significantly reduced symptoms of moderate to severe anxiety, depression and insomnia.
- Known to heal headaches
- Antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agents suitable to treat urinary tract infections.
Gratitude journaling is an intentional habit that creates deep appreciation. Writing down at least 3 things you are grateful for each day can help with balancing perspectives and focusing on positive things in life. If we are ever feeling anxious, grabbing a gratitude journal can keep us grounded to avoid focusing on so much of the future. It can bring about inner calmness and it is especially recommended for those that may be grieving. Gratitude journals can help cause happy, peaceful moments. Below are benefits of writing in a gratitude journal:
- Improves sleep – Reduces blood pressure and induces quality of sleep
- Deepens the quality of relationships
- Aids in discovering the meaning of life and finding the meaning in your calling.
You can start gratitude journaling today! Grab a journal or notebook, pick a certain time of the day to write in your journal and take 5-15 minutes to list 3 things you are appreciative for. Lastly, keep it going and don’t stop!
Join the Plant-life Community
Lately more and more women are taking an interest in learning more about having a green thumb and plant care. I can personally attest that since the national quarantine order was issued, having plants in my home has provided a beautiful, calm in my life. Having plants in your home not only purifies the air, but it is a form of self-care. Below are more convincing reasons why we should join the plant-life, green thumb community:
- Indoor plants can lower your stress and anxiety levels and improve mental health.
- Plant care provides therapy known as horticultural therapy. Horticultural therapy is a nature-based intervention that takes place in a garden setting that improves mood and causes self-awareness.
- Plant care can teach us lessons about patience and establishing our own self care routines as care is given to plants.
Take a Digital Detox
When was the last time you took a break from watching your TV, checking your emails, texting and scrolling through all of your social media platforms? While communicating, making connections and engaging with others on social media can be exciting, it can also become draining and mentally taxing. Occasionally, you will notice someone on social media post an announcement that they are “closed for spiritual maintenance.” Taking a digital detox silences the busyness and nosiness on social media. When we are quiet this space allows for us to gain clarity on areas that are close to our hearts. Below are the benefits to taking a digital detox:
- Allows us to be present and deepen our relationships
- Improves sleep
- Removes distractions and provides time to focus on accomplishing goals.
Sister-bonding is Therapy
There is nothing like being surrounded by a great group of girlfriends. We all need friends to accept us and provide non-judgmental spaces for us to be ourselves. Many times, talking to a friend about situations that are close to our hearts is a form of therapy. Listed below are few more benefits on the importance of connecting with and having a few girlfriends in our lives:
- Accountability Partner – Girlfriends can serve as great accountability partners. They will lovingly remind you of your goals, dreams and desires and help you to stay focused in order to achieve them.
- Confidence Booster – Whenever we are feeling low in life, we can always depend on our girlfriends’ encouragement to help us feel better about ourselves and fight off feelings of depression.
- Longevity in Life – A study from Brigham Young University was conducted and found that having a strong support system can increase our longevity in life by 50%.
In summary, I hope that you are encouraged and enlightened to implement these 5 Keys to practice self-care and to maintain your health and wellness.
Tea Time | Gratitude Journaling | Plant-life | Digital Detoxing | Sister-bonding
Janelle Watkins, Founder
Women Authentic, Inc.
Instagram: @thejanellewatkins; @womenauthenticinc