By Aaronica Cole
Can you believe that we’re in August? It seemed like it was just yesterday we were knocking on summer’s door and now people are sleeping outside Starbucks waiting for the early release of the Pumpkin Spice Latte. And this means school is back in session.
If your kids are anything like mine, they were living their BEST lives this summer from pool time to beaches and then fun times at camp. There was lots of sleeping in, playing it by ear and minimal structure–except for chores. But before school started, I made sure we did a couple things to ensure success for all of us.
If you want to avoid questioning your sanity this year, take heed to these here tips:
- Start setting alarms a week earlier. Yes, a week. Your body + their bodies need time to adjust to new schedules. Trust me: trying to get sleepy children and a sleepy adult ready in the morning is a recipe for disaster.
- If you’re driving your kids to school, test out the main route–and then multiples. If you can, get insight from other parents on what the drop-off and pick-up speeds are. This is important!
- Work outside the house? Give yourself at a minimum 30 extra minutes to make it work on time. You don’t want to get stuck behind a school bus! That’s like an extra hour of time!
- Pack as much as you can the night before. Lunch, snacks, clothes, homework, all of it. Grabbing things to go in the morning is setting yourself and your kids up for failure.
- Leave a couple bucks in your kids’ backpack. We pack lunches and snacks and all that jazz but we’ve already had one leave their lunchbox at home. If they forget lunch or you can’t run to drop it off, you don’t have to worry about whether they’ll eat or not.
**Bonus: If your school has a Facebook group, join it! That’s where the truth about teachers, lunches, etc. is really shared. Get that quality inside scoop!
On a scale of 1-10, how ready for back to school are you?
Follow Aaronica here:
Subscribe To "CLS on the Move"
Stay in touch with the Classy Events and Happenings in CLS.